Friday, February 1, 2013

The Purple Park



June 2010

Yesterday Addison begged to go to the famed "Purple Park".  At least that's what we call it in this house.  At 4:00p I finally agreed and off we went.  Andrew, Addi and Mom.  

Upon arrival I unbuckled carseat belts and two very excited babies wriggled out of their seats.  I opened the door and out they lept in a full sprint.  I ran after them as they have a tendency to walk in front of high flying swings.  (Just yesterday Karissa kicked Addi in full swing and she flew about 3 feet before landing face first on the spongy mesh.)

Andrew headed for the slides circling the jungle gym before finding the stairs.  Addi jumped on the big spider web and scrambled to the top.  "Look at me Mom!"

As the kids played I noticed a some folks at the picnic table not far away.  There was a woman, two men, one in a button down shirt and Dockers and a sweet little girl about 7 in pig tails.  I'm nosy so I kept looking from time to time.  It quickly became clear what they were doing at the park.  A supervised playdate of sorts.  I watched the mom speaking to the Social Working very animated.  The dad, (I'm guessing) was just quiet and listening. 

A few minutes later they were up and approaching the bathrooms.  The mother had a jerky gate and was still animated, upon further observation it was quite clear she was a drug addict.  The little girl walked into the womens restroom all alone as the parents and social worker stood outside. I've been in those restrooms several times, although they are clean, I would never let my child go in unattended. 

My first instinct was to run up and hug the little girl as she emerged from the bathroom.  She ran out quick and darted for the slide.  "You can't catch me!" she called out.  I was next to the little slide watching Andrew prepare to slide down.  All of a sudden the sweet little girl was right in front of me going down the side by side slide with Andrew.  Then she was off running to the picnic bench.  She grabbed her backpack and headed to the car of the social worker.  He opened the door for her and she climbed in the back.  The parents said goodbye, no hug or tears, just a wave.

At that moment, I wanted to save her.  Save her from parents that didn't deserve those sweet pigtails. 
Let her know that it wasn't her fault her parents addiction was stronger than her.  Most importantly let her know not to let them define her.

I watched and played with Addi and Andrew for a while longer before we headed home. 
On the way home I remembered a post I read earlier in the day; i-want-them-to-know , and I reminded myself what I want my kids to know.

I want them to know they are loved beyond measure.
Their dad and I love each other.
We make decisions based on their best interest.
Our home is a place of comfort, peace and cleanliness.
We will always provide food on the table, clothes on their back, and a warm place to sleep.
We will laugh and cry together.
I will teach them everything I know and more.
We are a family.

1 comment:

Your favorite sister said...

Oh that was so sweet...and heart breaking. It always just makes me want to hug my kids just a little tighter!