Thursday, February 7, 2013

A handsom reward

At exactly 2:13pm last Friday afternoon my cell phone rang.  It was a number I recognized - the Saint - that drives my child to and from school everyday.  I answered quickly and blurted out, "I'm on my way home right now."

"Mama", the voice on the other end was Karissa.  "Guess what?" she continued.  "I got Student of the Month! and a Principal's award!"

"YEAH!" I screamed.  We continued to chat and I told her how proud I was of her and how hard she's worked.

To be truthful, I never thought we'd see the day this year.  Karissa started a new school and for a child who is uncomfortable with change, the first month of school was a nightmare.  We had other changes to adjust to as well, a new dance schedule and all new friends.  Karissa deals with change by using a handy little tool called defiance.  It drives me to the brink.  Then it's like she just wakes up and it's over, till the next change in routine happens.

The thing about Karissa is that she's wicked smart.  I'm not using the word wicked as in we're from Boston wicked.  The wicked I'm talking about is; I'm a little scared about how smart she is.

Like the kind of smart where she is proficiently reading at a 4th grade level.  She can read an entire Diary of a Wimpy Kid book in 3 hours.  Like she's tearing through all the Judy Blume books, Superfudge, Double Fudge, etc.  She aces spelling tests and never studies because she can't remember to bring the words home.  She's great at math.  I rarely help her with homework.  My job is just to nag her to get it done. 
When I do it's usually done in 15 mins.

The thing that frightens me is she never stops to listen to instructions, she forges ahead and figures it out along the way.  (This is so me!)  Yet, she has picked up Matt's unbelievable intelligence.  When she does learn something new, it only takes once and she never forgets. (This is reiterated by her teachers, dance instructors, church teachers.  It's all the same.  It scares me.)

We will see where the years take us.  I'm already a little nervous about the future, only that she will be and is too smart for her own good.

For today, I'm proud of her.  I'm proud that she's worked hard and earned a handsome reward! 

We treated Karissa and -The Saint's daughter- to a girly treat.

2 comments:

Lady-Cracker said...

How very encouraging for you and Matt to have such a bright daughter. Since she reads so much and well, you might want to see if you can find stories that talk about "process." I can only relate articles about foot ball coaches, which probably would not help at this point in time. Go Karissa!!

Your favorite sister said...

Yay Karissa! Good job!!