Last week a very wonderful lady took her last breaths on this earth. Her name is Gloria Stokes. Growing up in Oxnard our family knew the Stokes family well. Gloria was a mother to six children, most of which the same ages as me and my siblings. We also went to church together and the same schools. Sis. Stokes was my camp leader and YW leader for many years. She was also my ride to school/home and to most church functions. This lady lived to serve. There was not one thing that she owned or talent she possessed that she didn't share. I will always remember to share my talents.
Sis. Stokes loved holidays, especially Halloween. This meant that she hosted the best parties. As youth we dressed up and turned her home into a super scary haunted houses for many years. She always dressed as a witch. We spent many a Halloween scaring the daylights out of many a trick-or-treater. Now when I dress up my house for Halloween with fog and spooky sounds, I always remember her.
My favorite memories of the Stokes family include 5 years of Girls Camp. We learned how to set up tents, build fires, cook food (and good food - peach cobbler), and navigate by the stars. I will always remember and love Sis. Stokes for teaching me how to camp.
Have you ever met someone that always had a smile on their face? This was Sis. Stokes. She had a fierce love for her children, really for all children. Her home was always open to those in need. I will always remember that love that her soul pushed out into the universe. It was catching and oh so comforting.
How do you want to be remembered? If I could live my life as this remarkable lady and be remembered in the way I've remembered her, I'd have a permanent smile too.
P.S. I can't believe I didn't mention our Roadshows. Sis. Stokes was the executive producer. This meant she did everything, songs, choreography, props, costumes. Ours was always the best and they were a blast!
My favorite memories of the Stokes family include 5 years of Girls Camp. We learned how to set up tents, build fires, cook food (and good food - peach cobbler), and navigate by the stars. I will always remember and love Sis. Stokes for teaching me how to camp.
Have you ever met someone that always had a smile on their face? This was Sis. Stokes. She had a fierce love for her children, really for all children. Her home was always open to those in need. I will always remember that love that her soul pushed out into the universe. It was catching and oh so comforting.
How do you want to be remembered? If I could live my life as this remarkable lady and be remembered in the way I've remembered her, I'd have a permanent smile too.
P.S. I can't believe I didn't mention our Roadshows. Sis. Stokes was the executive producer. This meant she did everything, songs, choreography, props, costumes. Ours was always the best and they were a blast!
No comments:
Post a Comment