
Self-Reliance is a simple concept that encourages each of us to take responsibility for our own needs - physical, emotional, spiritual, social and economic.
"We become self-reliant through obtaining knowledge, education and literacy; by managing money and resources wisely, being spiritually strong, preparing for emergencies and eventualities; and by having physical health and social and emotional well being."
-Julie B. Beck, President of the L.D.S. Church's organization for women.
The dress that is pictured here is all about self-reliance. My former boss at Pleasant Holidays is from New York. Although he has lived in Los Angeles for the past 30 years, he still loves all things East Coast.
One Monday while handing me the Sunday Style section of the New York Times, he said, "Your daughter has to have this dress." There was a large photograph of Jackie Kennedy and JFK Jr. wearing the little boy version of this dress. He looked so sweet. The caption under the picture read, "The Classic Easter Attire."
I immediately had to have the dress for Karissa. (Addi wasn't born yet.) I admit, at times I am materialistic and let vanity get the best of me.
As I continued to read the article my vanity vanished and my reasoning for having the dress totally changed. The dress is made by a woman from the St. Louis Women's Exchange. She is a single mother of a child with special needs. Because of the Women's Exchange this mother has been able to solely-support for her family. http://www.woexstl.org/
The Cherry Dress is in such high demand, I had to wait nearly a year to get it. When the dress finally arrived I was taken with it's perfect simplicity. I was looking forward to Easter more than ever.
This year will mark the 3rd Easter that Karissa will have worn the dress. (Thanks to the hem the size of Texas.) Every time Karissa wears the dress, I think of this self-reliant mother and it always makes me smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment