Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sybil Elizabeth Marie - Birth Story

It's been about 12 days since Sybil's birth, yet it feels like she has always been a part of our family.  Here is her story about her long awaited debut.

I can sum up Sybil's birth and actually the last month of my pregnancy in two words, frustrating and exhilirating.  (Above all else, I will always be honest.  Not mean, honest.)

Let's start with the last month. Once I wrapped up with Rocky Mountaineer it was like a little alarm went off.  Ding, she's ready and available.  Suddenly Grandpa just seemed a lot more needy.  I found out one of my brothers is having a hard time.  I tried to help with that.  And you little Sybil were the focus of many Doctor visits. 

On October 9, I had an ultrasound to check your weight and growth.  The technician assured me all was well and you were healthy.  She even gave me some picture of your cute face and ginormous cheeks.  Yeah!  You were in the right position for birth and all was well.  (Until I saw the Doctor the next day.)

October 10.  I saw my OB and she gave me the "I'm concerned talk".  You measured well past your gestational age and your weight was estimated at 7lbs.  I still had a month before your due date.  So the over-cautious doctor was sure I had developed gestational diabetes.  (Even though I already tested twice previoiusly and the results were negative.)  So off Andrew and I went to drink the nasty orange syrup.

Later that afternoon we got the results and all was well.  No diabetes.  Just a healthy baby.  Although still cautious my doctor wanted to see my twice a week as well as I'd have to have bi-weekly non-stress tests.  She also reminded me that I would need to be induced one week prior to my due date.

Aiiyiiiyii.  Luckily Auntie Beth and Auntie Nae Nae were on board to help out with Karissa, Addi and Andrew.  Beth had the beach house all reserved for Veterans Day weekend. 

On Saturday, October 19, while at your cousin Kayley's soccer game I started having some pretty good contractions.  Woo Hoo!  I was super excited.  They were irregular and lasted about the hour long game.  Then disappeared from whence they had come. 

The following week at my dr. appt, I was 2.5cm dilated.  I was sure you'd come at any minute.  Every night I went to bed thinking, this is it!  At every dr appt, the dr would say, maybe I won't see you at your next appt.  Yet I always knew she would.

Enough of the backstory, as you know, you were not born early.  We scheduled your induction for Thursday, November 7. 

On that Thursday mornning we got the kids ready and Auntie Nae Nae arrived.  We had lunches packed, teeth brushed, hair perfectly in place.  So off Daddy and I went to the hospital.  I was so excited to be done with being pregnant and to meet you.

Once at the hospital and in our room, we met our nurse and learned there were several other inductions and deliveries in progress.  We got hooked up to monitirs and IV's were inserted, ready for some pitocin to kick things in gear.  Turns out I was already hving regular contractions on my own.  That all started at 8am.  I got some antibiotics and the nurse slowly started the pitocin.  (And I mean slowly.)  She'd turn it up once an hour and things were slow.  I was up walking the room, changing positions, sitting in the rocker, on the bed.  And still light contrations.  By noon, I was irritated and
hungry.  Nothing was happening. My nurse would come in and again slowly turn things up.  By 5:00pm I was downright pissed.  My kids were looking forward to meeting their new sister and still nothing.  My nurse came in and I told her how furstrated I was.  I was beyond ready for baby.

Luckily about 10 mins later in walked my delivery Dr.  (Oh yeah, funny..not funny story.  The Dr's I had been seeing my entire pregnancy well, one retired the day of my last appointment and the other was going on a 3 week leave.  Seriously. So the Dr that delieverd you, I met the morning of your arrival.)

So there I was beyong frustrated and ready for delivery.  The Dr comes in and says she'll break my water.  The minute she does I start having real and regular contractions.  By 630p I was ready for my epidural.  Luckily that Dr. walked in right when I asked for it.  Put in the epidural, then I almost passed out and had extremly low blood presure for the next hour. Earlier in the day my IV machine was beeping and I rang the nurse. Two nurses responded and fixed the air that got in the IV tubing. Upon completion they forgot to unclamp the line. So when I got my epidural I was dehydrated. So, um, that was fun...not.

At 930p it was time to push and I was beyond ready to meet you. Things happened fast and you made your debut at 947p. 

What happened next was absolutely exhilarating. The minute you were born the nurses placed you on my chest and wiped you down. They brought warm blankets and there we stayed for 90 minutes. It was indescribable. Our time to bond and finally see each other face to face. 

The baby nurses came in and inspected you. Dad and I guessed your weight. I was right. Over 8 pounds. (8 pounds 12 ounces to be exact.)  All was well. They wrapped you back up and put you safely back on my chest. There we stayed till the morning. 









No comments: