When I think of Mothers - (my mother, my sister and sister-in-laws, cousins, friends) my heart feels heavy and full.
Yesterday marked the 11th year I've had to relive the day I said goodbye to my mother. I stroked her blonde hair, held her hand, cupped my hand on her cheek and told her all the things I ever wanted to say. As I stood in her quiet hospital room I wondered how I would ever live up to her. How would I live up to everything she was and everything she wasn't? Could I ever be all the things she expected me to be?
On the day before she died she made me a promise, it took me 10 years to believe her. She had a way of being right.
This past month I've encountered several examples of Mothers I thought I'd share;
Over Spring Break we went to the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History. As we walked through the historic building and took in the exhibits I noticed mothers. Mothers holding little hands, pointing, teaching, reading, learning.
A few days later we were in a restaurant for dinner. (a very rare moment) On the next table over was a mother of twins. Addi and her cousin, Kayley, was enamoured with the babies and asked to take a closer look. Off the girls went hand in hand to see the babies. As the girls approached the table I noticed this mothers husband was in a wheelchair. I could easily tell he had no use of his legs. The girls looked at the beautiful twin babies, a boy and a girl, sitting on their mothers lap. This mother was very gracious to the curious girls.
As our dinner got underway I kept my eye on this mother. I quickly said a silent prayer thanking God this was not my trial. The mother got her babies all settled in their double stroller and adjusted bottles and blankies. She then helped her husband get his legs aligned in his wheelchair and helped him get his wallet out to pay. Her smile was easy and she radiated happiness. What a sweet mother.
My friend Victoria had a beautiful Dalmatian named Jake. He was by far the most handsome and gentle dog I have ever met. Jake had beautiful amber eyes that gave you a glimpse into his soul. He was the first dog I'd ever seen smile. And oh, what a smile.
Victoria was his mother. She rescued him from an abusive home. She fought for him then loved and nurtured him back to health. She was his and he was hers. This was a perfect example of what it means to be a mother.
I have fallen in love with this mother. After reading her blog and her book, she has helped me appreciate my role with reverence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=022DFKOLs7w
My sisters (and SIL's), and dear friends, have taught me a lot about motherhood. It is without doubt that I know I would not be the mother I am without their loving guidance.
(I'll post some more examples on Mothers in the days that lead up to Mothers Day. I fear my post was getting way too long.)
No comments:
Post a Comment