Monday, May 7, 2012

Mothers Part 2

I remember my mother’s prayers

and they have always followed me.

They have clung to me all my life.

-Abraham Lincoln

My mother, Linda Kay Meyring, was the single mother of 8 children.  Some days it was all she could do to put a smile on her face.  There was always laundry to be done (to the tune of 4-5 loads a day), meals to be made, a kitchen to be cleaned, floors to sweep and heads to roll! 

My mother was a serious lady yet she had a great sense of humor.  When she asked you to do something, you did it.  (See heads rolling above.)  She was the most talented lady I have ever known or will ever know.  Each day she taught us something and challenged us to learn something new.  I am so incredibly thankful for the life experience.  At times it was a little crazy but we all gained a sense of confidence and independence.  A few weeks ago when Addison and I took out a dead tree in our back yard with a shovel and a hedge trimmer, I thanked my mother for teaching me I could do anything.  (I repeated this same lesson to Addison.)

My Grandmother, Helen F. McEuen, was one of the classiest ladies I know.  She taught me how to set a table, and proper etiquette for life.  Grandma loved to shop.  She loved to walk the entire mall and see every dress there before buying anything new.  (Because of this experience if I see something and like it, I buy it right then.  Why look further?) 

Things that remind me of Grandma are; hankies, clip on earrings and costume jewelry, statuettes, rotary phones, yellow (the perfect shade of 70's yellow), shag carpet, curlers and gold fake fruit.  (I hope you are laughing because you should be!)

I love my mother and grandmother dearly and would not be the same person without them nurtering me and all my siblings.



Grandpa and Grandma McEuen
November 2006


No comments: