Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Transplants & Face plants

 
We decided to start this school year off with some extra excitement.
 
Karissa started school on September 5 at Rancho Rosal School here in Camarillo.  That lasted about 3 days when we got a call from a school we've waited all summer to get into, Mesa Union.  This past Monday, Karissa had her second first day of school and second - second grade teacher and class.
She loves her new school and we are beyond excited to have finally gotten in. 
 
Why the change? 
Mesa is basically a private public school with "old school" standards and will provide Karissa the academic learning environment she craves.  Thus far Matt and I are impressed with our experience.  Every morning the entire school lines up by class in the quad and recites the Pledge of Allegiance together.  Matt and I felt as if we'd stepped back in time and walked away grinning from ear to ear.
 
 
 
On Addison's first day of Pre-K she and her BFF, Addison, (that makes 2 of them) took over the "Home Center".  Both girls dressed up in hats, gloves, carried purses and smiled sweetly while making dinner, talking on the phone and feeding their babies.  Yes, they can both multi-task with ease.  I mostly chased Andrew and tried to prevent him from destroying the classroom. 
 
The next thing I knew the Addisons had ditched "being Mom" and were in the play yard swinging on the jungle gym.  The Addisons showed off their latest (literally latest) tricks.  They'd swing their legs out over the tire shred play surface below yelling, "Look at me Mom!".  The other Addison's Mom and I smiled, laughed and gave a few "Wows".  My Addi looked at me and said, "Mom, what if I let go?"  I quickly told her that was a bad idea as the ground was at least 4 feet down and she'd get hurt.  Just as I turned to chase down Andrew I heard a big thud.  There was Addi face down in the tire shred.  As I rushed to her there was a simultaneous "gasp" amongst the other mothers. 
 
Addi was fine, luckily.  She got the wind knocked out of her and was a bit shocked. 
After a few minutes it was decided she'd never attempt that again. 
 
There it is!  Our fantastic start to the 2012/2013 school year. 
 
My hopes for the girls this year. 
They will learn to be empathetic and show compassion towards their peers. 
Their thirst for knowledge will be quenched. 
I'm looking forward to a great school year.
 
 
First Day of School photo.  Karissa 2nd grade, Addi Pre-K. 
Karissa wants to be a teacher and Addi wants to be a surfer.

No comments: